After visting Costa Rica, many people are interested in living there. The first thing to do is to take an extended trip to Costa Rica and explore the different areas to see which ones you like best. Then, I would do a lot of research. The best book currently on the market is the Golden Door Guide to Living in Costa Rica (See our Books section).
Some things to consider:
- How will I make a living?
- How much of the year do I want to spend there?
- Do I want to own land and a home there?
- What will I do to keep myself occupied?
- If I don't know Spanish, how will I learn it?
A great resource is ARCR (Association of Residents of Costa Rica). "ARCR is an organization serving foreign residents in Costa Rica as well as people abroad who want to become residents of Costa Rica. We serve members both prior to their move to Costa Rica and throughout their years of residency here." Main areas of activity are:
- Information on living in and moving to Costa Rica.
- Assistance with insurance in Costa Rica.
- To inform interested persons about procedures for becoming legal residents, and to assist and advise them during the process.
- Social Activities for members.
- Seminars on different areas of interest in Costa Rica.
- A discount program effective at many locations in Costa Rica.
Starting a Business
Starting a business in Costa Rica - Short summary about starting a business
Costa Rica Taxes & Banking
Costa Rica Offshore Taxes - Discussion of business and personal taxes in Costa Rica
Banking in Costa Rica - Summary of banking in CR
Living in Costa Rica
Welovecostarica.com - nice site with information and articles about living in Costa Rica